Saturday 13 September 2014

read | the ten books challenge

Crappy iPhone picture... sorry!
Also - couldn't find all the books on my list
I am clearly less tidy than I thought...
The other day I was tagged in a Facebook post to list ten books that have stayed with me in some way.

So, naturally, I thought, why not make a blog post!

My ten books are probably not exactly what you would expect, but one thing is true - they have definitely stayed with me over the years!

OK... so let's kick it off!

1.  'The Rainbow' D H Lawrence
If you know me, then you'll know this is so obviously going to be my number one choice.

Basically, this book has informed my opinions on everything to do with religion and spirituality.  I actually cannot get enough of D H's (this is the way I refer to him in my head - it kills the magic when you realise his name was actually David Herbert) descriptions of nature.  His books and poetry have changed the way I look at the world.  He saw so much beauty and made it his mission to show us what he saw.  As you can see, my copy is very dog-eared.   I've read it a lot!


2.  'The Power' Rhonda Byrne
Many of you out there will turn your noses up at such 'self-help', but I actually found 'The Power' to be a really great help and a wonderful way to aspire to live your life.  It's basic mantra is that love is the all-powerful force of life.  Give out positivity through giving love, and you will recieve back positivity.  A great little read that reminds you that life is meant to be great and it is going to be great!


3.  'Far From the Madding Crowd' Thomas Hardy
My favourite Hardy novel!  Sadly, I couldn't find it!! We've been having a massive reshuffle at home, so most of our books are packed up in the garage.  But this book is such a lovely read.  It reminds me of all the wonderful parts of England.  I actually read it on a beach in Spain, and even though I was in a bikini and it was really hot, I was reading about a snowy field in the Dorset and I was there.  Totally transporting.

As a side note, Gabriel Oak is my classic hero of choice.  Can't be doing with all those moody Mr Rochester's and Mr Darcy's.  It's strong, straightforward, positive Mr Oak all the way.


4.  'New and Selected Poems' Mary Oliver
If you have never read any Mary Oliver, then I strongly urge you to do so.  She writes so very beautifully and touches what is real and true about life.  When you don't feel like trawling your way through something overtly complicated, or archaic, read Oliver.  When you feel like you need a pick-me-up, read Oliver.  When you feel so unbelievably confused about what the heck you're feeling, read Oliver.  She's like a soothing salve for the soul.

I'll give you a taster...

I don't know exactly what a prayer is.  
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down 
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass, 
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields, 
which is what I have been doing all day.  
Tell me, what else should I have done? 
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon? 
Tell me, what is it you plan to do 
with your one wild and precious life? 

'The Summer Day' Mary Oliver

Doesn't that last line just get you!? So direct.  What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?


5.  'Wise Children' Angela Carter
Probably one of the zanier books on here.  But I love it! I studied it as part of my A-Levels, and I loved it then.  It's incredibly life-affirming and confidence boosting.  Things are OK as they are - and you are OK as you are.  We've got to accept ourselves, love life, and really go out there and live it.  Things are going to go wrong - they inevitably do - but that's all part and parcel of this rich experience called life.  One refrain stuck with me especially: 'what a joy it is to dance and sing!'  Isn't she right?!!


6.  'It's All Good' Gwyneth Paltrow
I know this is a cookery book, but it was probably formative in showing me how to enjoy food and how to cook it for myself.  I thank you Ms Paltrow, for showing me that I can eat a peanut butter cookie, I can make a peanut butter cookie, and I can enjoy it.  Also, for showing me that that peanut butter cookie is actually good for me, and for my soul.  Thank you.


7.  'Noughts and Crosses' Malorie Blackman
This was a childhood classic for me.  Not sure how many times I read this series through! I remember being totally obsessed with it.  It's your classic Romeo & Juliet tale, but with added spunk and lots of relevant issues like race relations and terrorism.  Absolutely great story!


8.  'Romeo & Juliet' Shakey 
Yes, I do have a nickname for Shakespeare.  I am an English student at heart! I studied this for my GCSE's.  Just at that age when you are pining for your own Romeo.  There are passages of such great beauty in this play, and the emotion is so very vivid.  How could you not love it?  I remember at one point I think I pretty much knew the entire play off by heart as I had read it so much.  At the end of the course we watched the Leonardo di Caprio version of it, and after that my fate was sealed.  It's great!


9.  'Little Women' Louisa M Alcott
Another childhood classic for me.  I loved Jo so much, and really wanted to be her.  But I knew that on the surface people would never think I was like her.  A classic case of having all this 'you' underneath, but everyone having a separate picture of 'you' that you feel you need to conform to.  

The book has also got some great messages in it about family and life.  I remember reading it several times and trying so hard to get those messages into my life.


10.  ????
And then I was stuck! There are so many more books I have read, but none that take a place in my memory as much as these.  I was dabbling over 'Rebecca' by Daphne du Maurier, and 'Eat Pray Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert... and then there were several more.  But I guess I will have to keep this one open, for whatever new and exciting books I will read in the future!


What are your top ten reads?

Enjoy today
- rosinaviolets    x

[Emily!]

No comments:

Post a Comment