Wednesday 5 November 2014

live | craft | all natural

Inspired by the all-natural stalls at the Om Yoga Show (which you can read about here), we decided to have a go at making our own face masks.

I had visited Lush for the first time (can you believe it!) over the weekend, and really enjoyed discovering the hordes of new products they had in store.  I couldn't believe you could make all of these things naturally (or using the most safe and limited number of chemicals).  I was intrigued... surely, if most of this stuff is natural, I could make these things at home too?

I listened carefully to the lady at Lush telling me about the face mask ingredients, and noted that the one she recommended for me (Brazened Honey) had (obviously) honey, but also lime juice, fennel, ginger and coriander.  It also had an exfoliant, which in this case was ground almond shells.

I thought about how I could make this more easily at home, and came up with a pretty good concoction, I have to admit!

Our face mask is really simple.  So simple, you can make it at home in the time it takes to make your morning porridge.  It also tastes good... don't know if that's a benefit or not!

Here's our 'recipe' for homemade face masks!



Honey Face Mask
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (the exfoliant)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 ripe banana, smooshed
- lemon or lime juice, to loosen


  • Mix all the ingredients together to form a paste.  
  • Massage over your face and focus on the areas that need a bit of a scrub.  Leave the mask on for 10 - 15 minutes, and then wash off with a cloth or just under warm water.  
There are so many varieties of ingredients you could use to do this - I think it will be fun to try out different versions of this base recipe.  I know the honey and banana are rich rehydrators which counteract the scrubbing abrasive action.  They also make the face mask smell (and taste, should you happen to get some in your mouth!) good.  

Quite shocked at my oatmeal-face... ;)
No way to make this look attractive... but it works!  It's quite messy to put on your face
so I would recommend doing it in the bathroom.
Once you've got the face mask on, you can relax in a nice warm bath, like Sarah did.
Or... you can clean the kitchen floor, like I did. ;)
Afterwards!  It makes your skin feel so soft and clean!

Our make-up free faces!

If you give it a try or vary the recipe, let us know! 

Enjoy today!! 

- rosinaviolets    x 

No comments:

Post a Comment